Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #737

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 16:58:29 +0000

Jonas Schiött:
> Is my Dragon Pass Geography skill that rusty?

No, my Prax Geography is.

>> I just assumed that Oliver talked about the upper river vale
>> of Sounders River, among the eastern foothills of the Storm
>> Mountains in Prax. The river which was redirected as the
>> Good Canal by Waha.

> But in you first reply you were talking about the Marcher
> Barons... I thought Sounder's Vale was some distance north
> of there, at the southern border of Sartar? With Barbarian
> Town inbetween.

Yes. I just remembered that the Good Canal was south of the ley line between City of Wonders, Stormwalk Mountain and the Block. I assumed that Sounder's River would run from Stormwalk, or nearby, and checking I found that it comes almost from Old Wind.

Nevertheless, this is hardly Sartar (or Heortland either). The Marcher barons don't hold sway in Barbarian town. Clans wandering away from Heortland might have taken either the route through Sambari Pass or via the Bandori gap into the Praxian foothills of the Storm Mountains.

So, whatever clans are there in Sounders Vale, they are certainly beyond any control of the Hendriki kings, and more likely to have ties to Sartar. I doubt, though, that they were Dundealos tribesmen (before that tribe was shattered).

Peter wrote that Barbarian Town was founded by Derek Pol Joni. While this is somewhat likely (at least that Derek brought new life to this likely traditional trading place), I'd like to learn the source for this.