Chaos Gods

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 19:15:27 +1200

Roger Nolan:

>I agree, I'm not happy with the situation where all Chaos gods tend
>to become animist traditions. It seems unbalanced - it also doesn't
>fit with the fact that Thed and Tein etc. are all gods, not great
>spirits.

Thed is a Great Spirit, not a goddess, as she's been associated with the Spirit Rune ever since Cults of Terror, and her priestess have been shamans since Gods of Glorantha. I fail to see how this changes anything about her since Pamalt, Storm Bull and Aldrya are also Great Spirits yet have a readily identifiable mythology and can act as discrete beings.

The direct worship of Mallia's is also animist for similar reasons although propitiatory worship of her is probably in whatever tradition the offering culture is.

Bagog has been associated with shamans in Gods of Glorantha and is thus animist. Some of her worshippers have spells, feats, etc depending on who they last ate.

I've never heard of anybody stating that Vivamort or Thanatar are animist cults (although Steve Martin did once state in Lords of Terror that the Dorastran Thanatari - as opposed to Atyari or Thanists - have Doom Shamans) before and Krarsht definitely looks theistic to me.