Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #739

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_hem.utfors.se>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 15:01:38 +0200

Joerg:

>So, whatever clans are there in Sounders Vale, they are certainly beyond
>any control of the Hendriki kings, and more likely to have ties to
>Sartar. I doubt, though, that they were Dundealos tribesmen (before that
>tribe was shattered).

Well, exactly. The map of tribes printed in Tales and Questlines doesn't show Sounder's River at all. Comparing it with other maps, I'd say there's room for a whole extra tribe between Dundealos lands and the river. But Dundealos is the southernmost Sartarite tribe...

The only other map with any detail is the old one from RQ2, which confuses me even more. It shows hill country (definitely not Prax) extending far south of Sartar, past Barbarian Town, possibly as far as the sea. So why doesn't this region seem to be claimed by anyone? Either this map has been completely superseded, and Prax should creep closer to the mountains south of Dundealos territory, or it is hilly but infertile badlands.

OTOH, if Barbarian Town was founded by the Pol-Joni, who have ties to the Dundealos, it should be a place for trade between those tribes - so why is it several days' travel from Dundealos, in lands which are desolate and/or occupied by unrelated clans? Maybe Dundealos borders used to extend further south and they have shrunk or migrated north for some reason? Perhaps these lands have become barren within recent history?

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #742