Bagog

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 13:30:16 +0800

At 11:45 AM -0700 6/7/00, The Glorantha Digest wrote:
>Is the intelligence devouring an inborn ability or does it come from
>worshipping Bagog? I think that it does. That's why the cult is the
>cornerstone of scorpionman society.That means that you have to have Eat
>Enemies -spirits and Stomach Acid that drains intellect -spirits. :)
>Somehow I doubt that.
	Nope, means no such thing.
	You have scorpion spirit, scorpion queen spirits, etc. Some
of these, when integrated, can give you neat abilities. Some might even give you the Talent that lets you eat people and devour their abilities.

        Let me see, what do we know about the Bagog cult. They have shamans (you might think that that alone was enough to make them animist - I certainly would). They have mostly spells that transform their bodies, quite similarly to hsunchen (animist), or cults like gorakiki (animist).

        Frankly, they are about as animist as it gets. The only thing is, they are an animist tradition that is much more concerned with integration into the body (Talents), rather than integration into fetishes.

        Then give them a special ritual magic for the Rite of Devouring and the Rite of Rebirth, and you are away.

>It would be quite complicated to duplicate all these with spirits...

        Not at all. Most of their magics are transformation magics very like those of other animist cults. And animist is more than just spirits - its also Talents, Shamanic abilities, possibly rituals, and also can have a Secret (I think the Rite of Rebirth is probably their Secret, at least for Queens - possibly the Rite of Devouring is the secret for non-Queens).

>and
>besides, I don't see the scorpionmen wielding fetishes and dancing in a
>circle (with their legs going clipety-clak, step-dancing) while practicing
>ecstatic worship :D

        You lack imagination. Ecstatic worship can be a bunch of different things.

	Cheers
		David