Subject: Who designed the runes?

From: simon_hibbs_at_lycosmail.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:39:09 -0400 (EDT)

Olli Kantola :

>The Gloranhta and the HW states that the runes were made by scriptorium.
>Who designed them? GS did the runes that were so famous in the RQ era. As
>these runes describe the underlying Gloranthan reality, I would like to
>know who made them. (and possibly, how close are they to the Truth tm.)
>Or are they a joint project or do they just make them up as they are
>needed (in cult descriptions etc.)?

As far as I know, the runes we saw in RQ2 and RQ3 were the God Learner standard set. We know that the GLs came across a huge variety of magical symbols used by different cultures in Glorantha, but they noticed many fundamental similarities in these symbol sets. The God Learner runes were simplified versions of these runes, embodying the common traits found in the different cultural runic scripts.

Thus we have always known, from the early days of RQ, that there were many more magical symbols used in Glorantha than the God Learner runes. What I do not know is where all these new runes come from. Are they variations on the GL runes? Are they collections of runes taken from different cultures?

It would be nice to know.

Simon Hibbs

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #743