Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #743

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 13:19:20 -0500

> From: "Roger Nolan" <Roger.Nolan_at_Symbian.com>
> Subject: How many Gloranthas?
>
> Roger Nolan said:
>
>> In my defense, all my RQ2 & 3 is locked up in storage in the UK whilst I
>> rebuy duplicates on ebay during my ex-pat exile in Japan; anyone know of a
>> copy of G:CotHW for sale?

> - -..and I've just been reading through my new Wyrms Footnotes. One of my
> favorite pieces in this is the D&D stats at the back. This got me thinking
> about how Glorantha evolves and how much it is shaped by the rules system.
>
> I have no real idea about the original Chaosium house campaign but, I'd
> there was less social interaction and a lot more 7th level fighters with 7
> league boots and bags of holding - maybe even dungeons full of Orcs (sorry
> Broos).
>
> Then with RQ1&2, most people got really gritty, Glorantha was suddenly
> centered on Prax and full of people scrabbling around for weapons to fight
> Chaos, having their armour fall off at inoportune moments. Luckily everyone
> had healing 6 and Geos to get over it all afterwards.
>
> Suddenly Cults of terror is relased and the Chaos monsters get really nasty.
> Our only defense lies in the pages of CoP - and a million 14 year old boys
> fill the world with Storm Bulls and Humakti.
>
> RQ3 and suddenly the world is invaded by these weirdos from the west, is the
> old D&D guys back again? They certainly have spell books and huge INTs. But
> they're not the real baddies - look, the Lunar empire has depth, it seems
> they are the real baddies and the Trolls are our friends - sortof....

    I have to admit, I kind of miss the old days of RQ. I certainly enjoy the complexities of Glorantha, but there are times when I long for a good bit of hack and slash and dungeon crawling. One thing I don't like about HW is that it doesn't seem to leave any room for that. Heroes should be sort of rare, but now Glorantha seems to be swarming with them.

Andrew E. Larsen