Ralios myth

From: Danbuter_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 19:15:03 EDT

Here's a quick little idea I came up with. Makes for an interesting encounter as well.

The Charioteer of the Mists

  Many years ago, a great charioteer lived in Ralios. His name was Keltorus. Such was his skill that he won every race he ever entered and killed many foes in battle. He was famed for taunting his enemies even as he beat them. One day he claimed that even Orlanth could not best him on a chariot. Orlanth heard this and grew angry. So the next day, as Keltorus rode through the fields, a stranger on a regal chariot approached him. Keltorus smiled, knowing that any man who rode such a chariot would be a skilled opponent. He approached the stranger, hailing him. The stranger looked at him, then challenged him to a race. Keltorus laughed, "Of course. But what shall be the wager? Don't make it too dear, as I shall surely win."   The stranger smiled, "If you win, I shall give you this chariot, the best chariot ever created, as I am Orlanth, and it is mine. If I win, you can never ride a chariot again."
  Keltorus' jaw slackened, as he realized that his boasts had been heard. Seeing Keltorus' dumbfounded expression, Orlanth laughed, and cracked his whip. His chariot bolted forward. Keltorus quickly responded, his chariot swooping after his opponent. After a few moments, Keltorus began to catch the god. Orlanth glared at him, whipping his horses faster. But inevitably, Keltorus caught up to him. They were running neck-and-neck for several seconds before Keltorus began to pull ahead. Snarling, Orlanth reined in his chariot.
  Keltorus swept his steeds about, laughing in his victory. As they stopped, Orlanth jumped from his chariot to the ground. "You have bested me. Never have I seen such a charioteer. I give you my chariot as I promised."   Gloating, Keltorus ran to his new chariot. "Wait till everyone hears of this!", he yelled to the god. Orlanth smiled grimly before vanishing from sight.
  Keltorus whipped the horses, sending them into a run that easily passed Orlanth' best. As he did so, he noticed that a mist began to rise from the ground. Thinking nothing of it, he turned back to his clan-hold. He had bested a god, and no man could stand before him.   That same morning, a merchant was travelling from the hold in the rising mist. After a bit, he seemed to hear a hollow clopping. The sound was all that could be heard, and made him quite nervous. Suddenly, a ghostly apparition swept by him. It was formed almost as if from the mist. Quite clearly he could see the outline of a beautiful chariot. But what truly shook him was the horrified expression of the ghost that drove it past. And so Keltorus rides the roads about Ralios, appearing only when a mist forms. The only sound they hear is the horses hooves, with never a word from the trapped charioteer.

I'm a bit of a fan of East Ralios, if ya can't tell ;>. Dan