RE: Giant magic

From: Lemens, Chris <CLemens_at_exchange.webmd.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:41:32 -0400

Herve:
> Could there be an analogy between the giants you can
>meet and the True Giants (montains) OOH and
>Dragonewts and True Dragons OTOH ?

Surely it is an opposition. Giants would have the opposite of the Dragons' ability to split themselves between body and spirit. Giants' bodies and spirits would be totally integrated, always. (I.e. you can never put a giant spirit in a fetish.)

All of the following is IMO.

If Giants have a magic, it is the magic of embodiment. They embody characteristics in things and in themselves. If they need to stop advancing nomadic hordes, they make or become a wall. If they need to give birth, they create a cradle. If they nee a home, they make or become a mountain. They are not simply big. Their bodies operate in magical ways in the material world. If they need a drink of water, they reach up and squeeze a cloud.

Their magic is extremely material in nature, unlike a lot of spell casting or spirit using. This, together with the impossibility of separating a Giant's body and its spirit, is why ignorant humans do not see their magic. They just identify the odd characteristics and magical items as part of being a giant.

This is easily represented in HW mechanics. In a more mundane example, the Giant needs more food, so it embodies fertility in its plow. Centuries later, some Heortling digs it up and has to figure out what to do with a 15 foot plowshare. If they figure it out, it provides an edge to relevant skills.

Chris Lemens