Barbarian Town

From: Oliver Bernuetz <oliver_bernuetz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:31:50 CDT

Jonas Schiött in reply to my message :

Me :

>>My thoughts on the reason why Barbarian Town is where it are as >>follows
>>:
>>1) I suspect that the Sounder River is probably polluted with chaos >>or
>>at least infested with chaotic lifeforms due to it's running into >>the
>>Devil's Marsh.

Jonas

>You mean chaos flows upstream? Coul be, but I doubt it. Especially
>considering the marshes - the chaos would actually be running _both_ >ways.

Probably more the strong possibility that the water might be full of chaotic life forms which would make fetching water pretty dangerous.

On the other hand the Zola Fel cult write-up in River of Cradles states :

"Zola Fel has special hate for Waha, for in the Darkness Waha degraded and polluted Zola Fel's sister, the Good river, forcing her to wash away the remains of the Devil." pg. 173 ROC

This strongly suggests that the river was polluted by chaos at the time and I would suggest that the fact that the region is lightly settled is due to some degree because of chaotic pollution. The question is how polluted and how chaotic? Since there's always fresh water entering the system wouldn't it be cleansed? Is the degradation and pollution a permanent effect on her?   Is she a mad goddess? Maybe that's why the river's no longer called the Good River? Is that why the name was changed to the Sounder River?

My take on this is that the river is extremely hostile towards Praxians which is one of the reasons why they leave the region to the Pol Joni, etc. I think she's also deranged so is very difficult to deal with and hates chaos with a passion. This makes her sympathetic to the Storm Bull cult. I also have this mental image of a weird Oasis People cult that has to tiptoe around the goddess, sacrificing outlanders to the river while they have to deal with the Storm Bulls from the Block.

I wonder where did the river's course originally flow to? My guess would be through the Monkey Ruins and out to the sea somewhere near Cam's Well.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
http://www.geocities.com/bernuetz