Re: Organized Crime

From: Henrix <henrix_at_pp.sbbs.se>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:47:40 +0200

Hmm, I like that!

(And I had almost forgotten the theory of organized crime as the progenitor of mediterranean civilization.
"We have an offer you cannot refuse: Pay tribute, or we drive you off from your olive grove. Oh, it would take you fifty years to raise a new one? Tough luck!")

I cannot help thinking of Nochet City, my favourite city in Glorantha. Also a place where many different cultures meet, not always on amicable terms.

Who are Nochet's chechens?

The violent exile Heortlings I would say. Worshipping a pantheon whose main deity is known for some great thefts and general unruly behaviour is bound to make some Heortlings take the (foreign) law in their own hands. Perhaps extorting a "war tax" from the other inhabitants of the city.
That some of them are hardened and bloodthirsty veterans from the wars against the Lunars would not make them less like chechens. Perhaps they are in league with Ditali and Solanthi Orlanthi, or even disgruntled Trader Princes. Or even Wolf Pirates.

This is of course just another proof for the Esrolian Queens that men are not to be trusted. And they are right ;-)

 --
Henrix