Re: Ideopgraphic scripts

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:04:58 +0100 (BST)

Bugger, thought I'd sent this way-too-late _last_ night. Well, 3am tonight will have to do... (Unless I'm now just repating myself.)

Andrew Barton replieth:
> > If I can pronouce something in one vernacular language, have it
> written down in Latin, and have it read elsewhere in a different
> one, then that's a common written form by any reasonable duck
> test.

> Err, that's called translation, surely? A very different thing from
> totally different spoken languages, such as the different
> languages of China, being written with the same ideographs.

The point at which they differ is one of degree, not kind. Cognitively, reading works by seeing a squiggle on a page, and 'pattern-matching' against a (vocalisable) word. The main functional difference between alphabetic scripts and logographic ones is that in the latter case, there may or may not be some more-or-less phonetic reading of a (written) word, which is important when you're learning a language, and when you encounter a 'new' word. But it's not infeasible by any means to have an alphabetic script for a language which is bizarrely un-phonetic (nominations on a postcard...), which could quite easily be the 'Western' situation. (How closely it resembles the historical case of Latin I shall leave for people who can bluff their way better on such matters better than I.)

> When Dante set out to write a great poem in Italian, he didn't
> have to do anything new to be able to write it down in the Roman
> alphabet.

Other than the small matter of devising Italian orthography from scratch? (Actually, I have no idea whether _he_ did this or not...)

Cheers,
Alex.