More Crime

From: Dr Mark Galeotti <m.galeotti_at_his.keele.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:00:17 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

"Danny Mr" on Black Fang

Why is this a shamanic cult? I suspect the real answer is that that is how it was drawn up at a time when there was far less of a difference between theism and animism, and it has stuck.

Less crassly, though, if one accepts the notion that BF is the spirit of a dead assassin who is representing another, mysterious entity (a very assassin-like set up!), then the animism can come from BF's own personal orientation before his 'elevation.' If BF was an animist, and then his 'patron' supported him to mythic status, it would seem strange for him suddenly to begin operating on a theistic basis. Also, it means that magic powers come from spirits of dead assassins rather than the patron - if it was the latter, then it would be far harder to keep the patron's identity unknown. I also like the idea of BF not being a tightly structured hierarchy so much as a loose network of individuals, some of whom are alive and some happen to be dead (= spirits). Finally, it means that when you confront a BF assassin, it is much harder to predict just what he or she can throw at you, because the mix of spirits are more varied than standard theist affinities.

All that said, to an extent this is just a way of rationalising the shamanic approach, and there is certainly no reason why it *has* to be that way. When I post my take on Black Fang, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Henrix on Nochet's Chechens

I do like the idea of exile Heorlings. Nice idea, which I'll hang on to. Crime is often a way dispossessed and marginalised minorities try to even out the odds stacked against them, and the Heortlings have some formidable strengths:

  1. Tough - even those who are not veterans come from a pretty martial society.
  2. Clannish - Orlanthi customs of loyalty to the family/clan rather than some more abstract outside 'state' would give them the sort of internal cohesion and Sicilian-style code of silence that helps effective OC.
  3. Image. Like the Chechens, if people *think* they are vicious, dangerous and unpredictable, they are less likely to invite them to dinner maybe, but also much less likely to mess with them. A powerful 'brand name' does wonders, and often means you don't *need* to fight.

Peter Metcalfe on Sekeveran Tongs

Splendid, so I have free rein with what I do with them...for now!

As the next installment in what will probably prove a rather sporadic series, I'll also post the hero cult of Hengkot KingBane, the Orlanthi rebel - comments, as ever, very welcome.