River gods' "Leap" myths?

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 11:54:13 -0400

Hello all.

With my player characters about to participate in Zola Fel's "Cleansing Leap" heroquest, I'm curious if any of you have thoughts or info about the myths of the water gods' sacrifice when the spike exploded.

Fosach, priest of Zola Fel at Pavis says "It was the worst thing in the world. Since the world began, the Great Mountain, which contained the first and best of all things, had stood at the center of the world. It gave meaning, law, and order to all things. But then the Chaos Gods, born of strife and unholy magic, attacked the Mountain and destroyed it. More than destroyed--they broke the world, leaving a void where before had been all the sources of life and meaning. That void began to eat the world, devouring everything. Without thought to life or safety, the gods of the sea called on their followers and leapt to fill this breach, which otherwise may have destroyed the world."

My rough outline of the quest includes:

  1. convincing warlike water-worshippers to stop invading the land and follow downstream.
  2. avoid being captured by earth/fertility/farmer types who want to lock the river up into "bondage" canals.
  3. defeating lesser darkness foes whose chaos taint had crept in, polluting the river.
  4. (most vague) successfully integrating all this into the "void filling" effort that saved the world. Failure here would mean being eaten by the void.

The one ritual requirement I've decided on so far is that it is VERY important that no participant in the quest EVER step backward or turn around upstream.

thoughts, anyone?
- --
Mike Dawson mdawson_at_mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/mdawson or www.evilmonopoly.com "You start up owning stuff. You end up with stuff owning you.--Tyler Durden