Heroquesting questions?

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:05:04 -0500

    Two question about hqing:

  1. Since its possible for people to get drawn into someone else's heroquest without wanting to be there, what happens when a hostile 'player' in a quest refuses to go along with the script? For example, let's say a Humakti is doing the Humakti quest from KoDP and draws in a rival in the role of Orlanth. In order for that quest to succeed, Orlanth has a lot of 'dialog' that he needs to speak to get Humakt to make the right progression in the quest. What happens if the Orlanthi refuses to say his lines? What happens if he just agrees to let Humakt have Death? Does the quester 'win an easy victory' or does the quest go bad?
  2. What is the difference between a hero discovering a new mythic path and the Godlearners constructing a new path? From a game mechanics standpoint, there doesn't seem to be much difference, but from an Orlanthi standpoint, there must be a world of difference. It's accepted that heroes may learn new myths and create hero cults, while it's a great crime for people to intentionally manipulate myths. So how does a hero learn a new myth? Surely just going into the hero plane to find a new path is dangerously close to manipulating the myths. Part of the reason I'm dwelling on this second question is that my CA is going on a quest to learn how to heal someone's mind. I told the player that the cult had long suspected that there was a myth for this, but that most of the details were unknown. She's been trying to piece together enough of the myth's probable events to be able to do the quest, but she doesn't want to fall into God Learnerism and make a path that never existed.

Andrew E. Larsen