HQ non-cooperation

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 07:22:57 +0100

Andrew asks:

> What happens when a hostile 'player' in a quest refuses to go along
> with the script? For example, let's say a Humakti is doing the
> Humakti quest from KoDP and draws in a rival in the role of Orlanth.
> In order for that quest to succeed, Orlanth has a lot of 'dialog'
> that he needs to speak to get Humakt to make the right progression
> in the quest. What happens if the Orlanthi refuses to say his lines?

Then he, as an Orlanthi, is refusing to identify with Orlanth on the hero plane. Probably some bad juju comes his way. If you want to be really harsh about it, his powers of Death are significantly weakened, to the extent that he can't defeat any Solar enemies. (Because his relations with Humakt are significantly different to those of "real" Orlanth).

> What happens if he just agrees to let Humakt have Death? Does the
> quester 'win an easy victory' or does the quest go bad?

I don't see these as oppositions. Think: what does the myth tell us? Then, what kind of thing would happen if you (personally) didn't have that myth? The outcome of the quest can certainly go bad.

I'm not very familiar with the quest you refer to -- only played KoDP a few times, never all through -- but isn't this the one where Humakt gets his position in Orlanth's household defined? I can think of all kinds of ways to screw up an Orlanthi whose household has too much Death, or not enough Death, or Death that doesn't do what it should... :-)

Sensible heroquesters play along: that way they know the outcome. Deliberately cocking things up annoys and alienates your god, and possibly destabilises your world. Unless you really *want* to do this, it's probably best to go with the flow...

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick