Marriage

From: JeffJErwin_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 19:36:00 EDT

Donald Oddy writes:

<< Ok, what happens when two clans who have a lot of intermarriages fall out? What do the wives do? If they stay with their families and work with that clan then the family bond is stronger than clan. Alternatively there are two groups of women leaving their children behind to return to their clan because they aren't trusted. >>

Why would this happen? The women aren't sitting idle are they? It's clearly in their interest to prevent a falling out. This seems to dismiss a primary cultic role of Ernalda women: as peacemakers. This would involve a serious failure of women's magic and responsibility. Multiple marriages mean a stronger friendship between tribes and clans. A feud-ending marriage doesn't only end the feud, it is intended to keep it from sparking again.
Besides, there aren't just young mothers involved, but older, respected women. "Shall we raid the the Red Clay clan and offend Grandmother?" I think not. This I think is key to the binding nature of exogamy... Sartar wouldn't exist without it.
I've come around to this view after reading the many posts. - --Jeff