sorcery problems

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 01:29:40 +0300

> Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:34:58 PDT
> From: "Peter Metcalfe" <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
> Subject: Sorcery Plane
>
> Mikko Rintasaari:
>
> >Am I alone in being irritated by the "revelation" of the sorcery plane?
>
> How would sorcerers see the Other Side then?

That's not so much of a problem. The sorcery plane in itself is acceptable, but the sorcerers being utterly dependant on sorcery nodes and their ready-to-channel-fill-your-talisman-here spells is.

> >In the old paradigm the sorcerers were the only people to really rely on
> >their own Will to shape the universe. No help from spirits or channeled
> >energy from gods.
>
> They still do according to the Glorantha Intro.

Their gods are called saints, or ancient sorcerers. The Hero Wars sorcerer does not use his own skill, but channels a ready spell through his talisman. Instead of having the most flexible and creative magic, as they used to, they are reduced to having "sorcery matrixes"... take away the sorcerers toys and he can't pull of a single spell anymore. Not a problem?!?

> >Now we get told that the sorcerers too are just
> >channeling energy from the sorcery plane. *blah*
>
> I don't see the problem. All that energy is _there_,
> replenishable, and can be used. So why not use it?

> - --Peter Metcalfe

The sorcerers used to be capable, independent and individualistic without any need for otherworld powersources, and ancient beings teaching them spells. Sorcery was (and is) supposed to be about natural laws and the physical world. But suddenly it's impossible without opening portals to tap into the ready spells of otherworldly beings.

Not much like I've come to see Gloranthan sorcerers (broken RQ mechanics aside)

        -Adept