Sorcery

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 11:54:03 +1200

Mikko Rintasaari:

>The sorcery plane in itself is acceptable, but the sorcerers being
>utterly dependant on sorcery nodes and their ready-to-channel-fill
>-your-talisman-here spells is.

Where else do you propose sorcerers get their magics from? If it could be done from the mundane world and the simple reading of books, then every gloranthan could do it.

> > [Sorcerers] still [rely on their own Will to shape the universe
> > with no help from spirits or channelled energy from the gods]
> > according to the Glorantha Intro.

>Their gods are called saints, or ancient sorcerers.

Saints are a wizard thing whereas the ancient sorcerers are teachers rather than worshipped entities.

Secondly there are two methods of learning spells described in the rules. The first simply has the sorcerer creating the portal of power and extending his will into the node and learning the spell. It then says "Sorcerers may also learn spells directly from their founder or saint through the ritual of the Pattern of Power. The founder can teach any spell in the order's grimoires". Although one can deplore the lack of description of the circumstances in which one might simply log into the node or contact the founder instead.

So one can learn a spell without going to a founder. One can even do so if you had an incompatible ideology than the founder, which makes the founder rather unlike a God.

>The Hero Wars sorcerer does not use his own skill, but channels
>a ready spell through his talisman.

Skill is a RQ3 rules artifact and you won't find any mention of it in the sorcerer-eye's view of his magic. The act of learning and casting spells is still an act of will and stated so in the HW rules.

>they are reduced to having "sorcery matrixes"... take
>away the sorcerers toys and he can't pull of a single spell
>anymore. Not a problem?!?

You don't remember the numerous matrices required to store power and spells before a sorcerer could cast a half-decent spell?

> > I don't see the problem. All that energy [from the
> > sorcery plane] is _there_, replenishable, and can be
> > used. So why not use it?

>The sorcerers used to be capable, independent and individualistic

I really like to see a gloranthan source describing them as individualistic and it is difficult to conceive of a RQ3 sorcerer as being capable and independent.

>without any need for otherworld powersources,

What then were magic points?

>Sorcery was (and is) supposed to be about natural laws and the
>physical world.

It still is. But the otherworld _is_ where the natural laws that give rise to the cosmos are more prominent. It makes sense from the sorcerers PoV to learn spells from there just it makes sense from modern scientists to learn secrets from a telescope or a particle accelerator.