Re: History of Pavis

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:13:45 -0700

Ian Thomson

> Pavis was founded by Pavis and Joraz Kyrem who were both students of
> draconic wisdom in one form or another. I don't think this has to mean that
> they were intent on turning themselves into dragons, or even that JK was a
> mystic per se, but both were experimental H Questers.

Jhoraz Khyree was almost certainly no such thing -- he was a Pure Horse chieftain. Since the Pure Horse had been allied with the Jrusteli approximately 30 years earlier, my guess is that he is (like most chieftains) a politician, who figured his chances were much better with the EWF (which was after all a lot closer to Prax than the Jrusteli).

45 years later (which suggests JK was a heroquester, though says nothing about experimenting), he fled back to Dragon Pass and this time recruited the Sun Domers (probably the Tharkantus cult, which is among the least draconic of the EWF cults).

Sorry, but I'm not reading anything into KoS.192-193 or RoC.9-11 which suggests any connection between the Pure Horse leader and draconic wisdom (if anything, the reverse, since they are said to be very traditional). I think he is just a pragmatic opportunist.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein