more sorcery

From: Mittmann, Mike <Mike_Mittmann_at_affymetrix.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:00:10 -0700

Simon Hibbs says:
>Trent Smith :
>>And, according to Sandy Petersen's sorcery rules, every Gloranthan CAN.
>>There are a few exceptions (3, exactly -- Shamans, Priests, and Elves),
but
>>the reasoning behind them is significant: an insufficient/incompatible
>>world-view
>
>If it was simply a matter of learning rote finger movements, chants
>and whatnot why would world view have anything to do with it?

I have a world view that says that rote finger movements, chants and whatnot can not affect the world. Therefore I never try hard enough to get them right, therefore sorcery never works when I do it.

Peter says (in response to me)
>>I would argue, by similar logic, that if redsmithing were as simple
>>as just hitting a piece of heated metal with a hammer, then every
>>Gloranthan could do it.
>
>And they can. Most gloranthans cannot do sorcery because
>they do not have the right outlook. If sorcery came from
>the mundane world then anybody could do it irrespective
>of their magical perspective just like they could work
>bronze, add two numbers together, etc.

Ah, we apparently have a different definitions of "can". I would assert that anyone who commissions one of the bear hunschen, or Balazarings to make them some bronze armor, has wasted his money. Yes, you can kidnap a balazaring, and spend 4 years training him, and he will be able to make armor, but I would assert that you could also spend 4 years training him, and he will be able to cast a passable sorcery spell.