Heortland... (and sheriffs)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 23:10:31 +0300

:>Apple Lane (It has a Sherrif, [...].

:Sheriffs exist in Heortland (Glorantha Intro p142). Although
:I did put them there because of the Apple Lane reference.

:- --Peter Metcalfe

I was wondering about that one. I found the reference to sheriffs in the Glorantha books Heortland section really painful.

Heortland seems to be getting the short end of the stick anyway, both previously and in the newest books. It should be a strong, large and traditional Orlanthi land, with more population than Sartar. Yet the Empire marches over them without breaking a sweat (just a few lines have been allocated in describing this, it hardly seems worth mentioning(!?!)

It's named after king Heort, yet the new Glorantha book writeup hardly mentioned him.

One would think Heortland is the hart and soul of _Heortling_ orlanthi culture, and this is indeed the view I had from the RQ-2 writings. Ok, they had some malkioni remnants from the time of Arkat, but they were stygians, and had to get along well with the much more numerous Orlanthi, or they would have been crushed and driven off long ago.

It's infact rather easy to picture some orlanthized malkioni livin in the cities of the coast. The orlanthi world wiev already has high gods and goddessed (the Celestial Court, Arachne Solara, Glorantha), so they could accept a male creator principle there _alongside_ the others. The actual Malkioni of course choose tho honor and revere this Creator above the others, but they sure wouldn't dare deny the god's of the orlanthi. (since they are still there)

Anyway. That's a snippet of my take on Heortland. I feel it has a lot of potential, and it seems to be continually ignored, or used as a sink for really weird and unpropable ideas.

I sort of liked the Larnsti tho... I just don't see how they would end up geing the kings of the tribes of Heortland. Holy men, prophets and seers sure, but kings? Wasn't Heort's way opposed to kingly lines, the King is supposed to be chosen from among the thanes.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.