Zebra Bandits

From: Karin Goihl & Daniel Fahey <goihlk_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:43:09 +0200

Ian Thomson:
>"zebra riders still maintain a holding on the river, giving tithes to the
>Lunar Government, and allowing Lunar inspectors to see that they are not
>re-eqipping as the outlawed survivors"
>I am not aware of any references that say the Zebra People are widely held
>to be bandits, although the Lunars may mistrust the plains zebra clans

Whether they follow Lunar rules or not has nothing to do with whether anyone else are bandits, except in Lunar opinion. Lunars make up a tiny number of the people living in Prax.

>I'm certain there is another official source which says they are valued as
>mercenaries and noted for their cavalry tactics, which implies they are
>organised and reliable (doesn't sound like bandits to me)

They are mentioned several times as mercenaries and are organized and reliable. What's another word for mercenary? Bandit. Mercenaries tend to switch between the two "professions" quite easily. Somethimes they are hired as mercenaries just to keep them in order and not waylaying people. Bandits can be organized, and reliable for certain things, as when it profits them.

Daniel