Clan Generation

From: Phil Hibbs <phil_at_snark.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 22:39:10 +0100

>What clan generation system ? What questions ? :o)

I believe Thunder Rebels will contain the clan generation system, but the Issaries web site still lists it in the Sartar Rising book. Basically, you get to answer questions about what your forefathers did in the god time, during the great darkness, when the sun rose, the Second Council, the EWF, the pharaoh, and so on through into modern times, and this builds up your clan traits in terms of economics, goals, values, attutides, morale, wealth, etc. Each answer contributes different factors. For example, I don't think Issaries will mind this snippet leaking:

Seven years ago, many clan chieftains and tribal kings, led by the Vingan warrior Kallyr Starbrow, took part in a massive uprising against the Lunars. What did you do when Kallyr's emissaries came to you seeking your participation?

a)We sent all of our warriors to fight.
b)We sent half of our warriors to fight.
c)We said it was not the time for rebellion.
d)We warned the Lunars of their plans.
e)We warned our Lunar allies, and prepared to fight against Kallyr.

This system has been run at both the last two Convulsions, and is closely related to the beginning of King of Dragon Pass. It's a lot of fun, but if you get too many mid-thirties RQ2 players together, your clans end up looking remarkably similar... the phrase "All Sartar? No, one small village of indomitable Heortlings continues to resist the invaders..." springs to mind. :-)

I chose d), and the trickster betrayed Kallyr's rebels to the Lunars. As it turns out, this decision has propelled their clan into the position of being the most powerful military clan in Sartar, because they didn't get decimated in the rebellion, which would have been inevitable if the players had gotten their way. The carls are delighted, the weaponthanes are furious.

This is also what led me to ask about numbers of thralls, because they have a population of 1150 and 200 thralls, which I think is unsustainable in Orlanthi culture.

Phil.