Re: Marriage

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:39:58 -0700

Alex and I continue...

> > In effect, this means you
> > are a member of the clan you marry into in a physical sense (thus
> > marrying into in a legal sense as well).
>
> Not unless you're adopted thereby, which is definitely not a requirement
> of marriage.

In the spirit of compromise, I think you're right that a year-wife, bed-wife, or love-wife would remain in her birth clan. As would an over-wife or Esrolian wife (though then her husband changes clan).

> But if you asked her 'To what clan do you belong?', or if you asked
> the local Lawspeaker than, equally, you'd get the answer of the clan of
> birth, not her clan of marriage.

Even today, a significant percentage of women change their name when they get married, showing everyone that they have joined his clan.

> If someone has been in some sense adopted by the clan,
> it would a good deal more than her ex-husband's say-so to make this
> legally and magically null and void. Consider your own example
> of Ernaldan rites to see the obvious difficulty here...

"in a divorce. The wife always returns home" [KoS.243], therefore she isn't going to have the opportunity to participate in the Ernaldan rites of her (former) marital clan.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein