Earth Temples

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:20:25 -0500

     I liked a lot of what Guy Robbin had to say about earth temples. Overall, I thought he got the feel of it right.

> the interior of the temple does not match the exterior, then. what is
> square, firm and powerful on the outside, is round, humble and mysterious on
> the inside. what fills the space between the square outside and round
> inside is unknown.

     I like this and I don't. By RW standards, yes this feels right. But by Gloranthan standards, I don't think so. The square is the symbol of earth, whereas the circle is associated with the sky. The square ought to be mystically important for earth temples.

     A few other notes:

     The earth temple in Snakepipe Hollow is square. It's the only earth temple that we have a published example of.

     According to an early issue of Wyrms Footnote, earth temples are guarded by Serpent Guardians, which are half-woman half snake, and many of them are priestesses. Obliously, this is only for major temples, although I think the cult of BG raises snakes to act as guardians.

     In my campaign, which is based in Stirligon, among the Culbreans, there is a wooden temple shrine which is used for 'public' rituals. It's square and represents the 'light' earth. There is also an 'Ernalda cave' that only women (and the rare male initiates) enter, usually during initiation and quests. The cavern is the 'dark' earth, the mysterious womb.

Andrew E. Larsen

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #817