Four & Earth

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 22:22:08 +0100

Jane asks:

> BTW, can anyone explain to me why 4 is an important number to the
> Earth cults, but we still have the Maiden/Mother/Crone trio, and
> three sisters per generation? Are we missing one?

Yep, the token bloke. (Genert, traditionally). Together, Gata, Empress Earth, Earth Witch and Genert make up the "Four Corners of the Earth Rune". I think it's defined in Wyrms Footnotes or the GoG Prosopaedia. Maiden, Mother, Crone, and -- as an afterthought, not one of the trinity -- the Father.

(There's an attractive semi-parallel with the Father, Son, Holy Ghost, and -- in a different theological league, but still "worshipped" by Catholics -- the Mother of God; but I won't explore it now)

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick