More on sacrifices

From: Javier Amor <javier.amor_at_terra.es>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 19:03:06 +0200

>Surprisingly, none pointed out that Humakti are, in effect,
>sacrificing their opponents and perhaps themselves when killing in
>battle

I I don=B4t believe so, sacrifice needs some ritual not just killing IMO the essence of the ritual of the sacrifice is that he offering = became sacred. For that reason i don=B4t believe that in the most cases = cult enemies will not be sacrified. Good members of the cult will kill = them, but this another type of devotion. Orlanthi will kill broo but not = send them to Orlanth as gift.
In RW one of the arguments of Iceland's christians against his fellow = pagans was the fact that the human sacrifices to Odin were always = criminals, outlaws and so. You show you respect to All-Father throwing = him criminals?.=20
One of the exceptions will be, of course, Chaos Cults. But we can = explain this poin;. Chaos Gods are dedicated to the destruction of the = world and thus they are pleased with the pain and death that produces = the sacrifice. The sacrifice itsellf is secondary.

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&gt;Surprisingly, none pointed out that Humakti are, in=20
effect,<BR>&gt;sacrificing their opponents and perhaps themselves when = killing=20
in<BR>&gt;battle</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3>I I don&acute;t believe so, =
sacrifice=20
needs some ritual not just killing</FONT></FONT><FONT = size=3D3></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>IMO the essence of the ritual of the sacrifice is that he offering =
became=20
sacred. For that reason i don&acute;t believe that in the most cases = cult=20
enemies will not be sacrified. Good members of the cult will kill them, = but this=20
another type of devotion. Orlanthi will kill broo but not send them to = Orlanth=20
as gift.</DIV>
<DIV>In RW one of the arguments of Iceland's christians against his =
fellow=20
pagans was the fact that the human sacrifices to Odin were always = criminals,=20
outlaws and so. You show you respect to All-Father throwing him=20 criminals?.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>One of the exceptions will be, of course, Chaos Cults. But we can =
explain=20
this poin;. Chaos Gods are dedicated to the destruction of the = world&nbsp; and=20
thus they are pleased with the pain and death that produces the = sacrifice. The=20
sacrifice itsellf is secondary.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #820