Elves and Song

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:14:11 +1200

Chris Lemens:

>Me>The sensations generated by the forest are so strong that many
> >elves lack any sense that they are separate from the forest.

>What I took away from this is that "man" is less than "most" and
>far less than "all". Thus, there would be a majority that have a
>sense of separation from the forest.

But I originally said most elves _purposely_ lose themselves in the Song. Whether or not a particular elf is capable of feeling individuality, it is something that most of them shun.

> >Most Aldryami are content to bask in the Song that washes over
> >them and consequently any magic they use is unthinking.

>I thought this contradicted by the prior statement that only
>"many" lacked any sense of separation.

It isn't. If I had intended the senses that you infer, I would have it explicit rather than make it decipherable to only those with the abilities of Venn Diagrams 17, Aldryami Floragraphics 12 and Read English 1w.

>So the number of wonder workers who can orchestrate
>the Song are on the same order of magnitude as the rootless.

Well, I agree with your conclusion since the rootless are also few (5% according to Cults of Prax)

> >So of the elves in the forest, we have roughly three groups:
> >i) the normal elves that have no sense of individuality or
> >purposely lose it in the woods.

>I'd say this is "many"; i.e. a large minority.

What's wrong with them being a majority? In particular how does it suddenly make elves unplayable or uninteresting if most of them are as individualized as human farmers or mobs?