Re: Heortling Kinship, Clan Membership

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 09:33:16 +0100

> Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 11:57:15 +1000
> From: "John Hughes" <nysalor_at_primus.com.au>
> Subject: Heortling Kinship, Clan Membership
- -..
> David Dunham has suggested that clan membership can change on marriage. I
> believe this is incorrect, for a number of reasons.
>
> (NOTE: I will focus for purposes of simplicity on a woman who marries and
> goes to live with her husband's clan. Yes, I am aware of other ways.)
- -..

This has an interesting consequence: women must travel further (to a neighbouring tula) to participate in 'their' clan moots. If a stead has several couples (as I assume it usually would), when the women return there will be a body of women who, together, have a very good understanding of politics outside the tula they live on. This political knowledge, extending beyond the narrow horizons of the men folk, fits in well with what we know already about Ernaldan women.

Women travelling relatively far, and being regularly absent for moderately long periods, could be an adventure motif.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #836