Marraige in Orlanthi Clans, an amatuer's shot

From: Groovydood <argrath_at_agoron.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 01:38:48 -0400

I've been watching the Endogamy vs Exogamy debate, and it seems that, as all things Orlanthi, things are local and practices are rooted in Myth. As Umath's first law states, "No one can make you do anything", which is always countered by that most primal of Orlanthi social controls, "Violence is always an option." Further, Ernalda's great secret to Orlanth is that "There is always another way." I'd dare say that marraige practices, while relatively stable, will be tied into the founding ancestor or hero's myths, and may change when some new hero creates a new myth.

The report on the Orlanthi, from KoS, which may well be accurate for a general assessment of Sartarite culture, probably is just a gross generalization. Marraige practices may well be different all the way down to the stead level in some areas, although I'm more of the thought that there are standards on the Clan and Tribal level, with certain practices adhered to as proud indicators of history and tradition. "If the Old Man Orlev married his third cousin, then, by Orlanth, it's well by us!"

I'd imagine that clans would have variant Orlanth and Ernalda myths, explaining why marraige is handled *this* way, and appearances of evil sex gods (Sidana the Black Goat and Ragnaglar,and perhaps even Eurmal and Urox come to mind.)

Thoughts?

Chris Bell
http://www.agoron.com/~argrath/intense.htm