Re: herding; steads to hamlets

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:28:56 -0700

John Hughes

>I don't think Heortlings practice substantial transhumanance of cattle

We've always assumed that they do. I think it's explicit in the case of the Aranwyth (in one of the troll supplements). Remember that Dragon Pass can get cold in winter, so you don't want the cows up in the hills.

>Water meadows are both prime land and prime cattle country

Yes, and if they have fields on them, you've got to move the cattle up into the hills.

>I have difficulty picturing warriors doing much *direct* herding

I agree with this at least!

Benedict Adamson

>They live in fortified villages, which they call buries

These have been categorized by the Lunars, with a number and the name of the headman. I Bury Paul is the most famous.

(Can we use normal names? This is Glorantha, not Jorune. Tula is at least a concept that might not have a common, equivalent English word. But let's not have buries, gors, or galts -- or is that gorses and galtses?.)

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein