The future, my take

From: Andreas Gustafsson <koraq_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:06:29 -0700 (PDT)

The question about where Glorantha will be in 10 years time is interesting. Let's take a look.

Where will G be as a gaming world? I hope it will still be around. Probably that depends a lot on if Issaries will be able to move G into new mediums like online multiplayer games and suchlike. I think imideately(sp?) usable material like scenarios and lot of light on what makes G special is needed.

Where will Glorantha be as a storytelling world? This is were it's getting really interesting! As you all know TSR had financial problems and that was the reason WotC was able to purchase them, but one thing sold all the time - game tie-in novels.

I have heard the story multiple times about how Greg started writing about G because he wanted to tell fantasy stories. How come none of this has seen print? I think that stuff like "Gloranthan Visions" probably is one of the best way of making money and spread the word. I personally didn't like some of the material in that book, but I've liked the Griselda stories. Needless to say, this takes some know-how, but Chaosium has been publishing novels for some time now and that knowledge probably could be tapped (no, not like that! No sorcery!). And they have to be better proofread than e.g. the HeroWars rulesbook.

And I do think that campaign writeups has their place, just like storytelling contests on cons. But they won't make money and reach game geeks that haven't already played the game unless they are written in a more litterary style.

How about the shared myth? I do think this is the area I think Glorantha will survive the longest. Having a small part of the world mapped out and disected in detail is a very satisfying experience. And G is a rich world, easy to build on and expand since there is so much good stuff to plunder for inspiration. One thing /I/'d like to see is more stuff about architecture, clothing, material artifacts and art. That and maps. There is a big lack of good maps. I hope you have seen the French maps for HW? They are beautiful!

Otherwise, how do we sell the myth and what role have Issaries to play?

I have personally introduced two (and a half) person to Glorantha by showing them KoDP. I think that more computergames is the way to fast getting people to know about Glorantha. Since we have hade little or none documentation on Sartar and the Heortling culture it filled a big gap. Until (if?) Thunder Rebels arrive that is the best source I know about Heortlings, how they look and live. If someone could do a game (or 12!) about other cultures and lands I would be very happy indeed. How was KoDP built anyway? Some kind of interactive multimedia player was used, or am I misstaken? Maybe there are some free tools like a MUD or a cheap licence using Quake, that could be used. Probably more computer games is the best way of getting people to see Glorantha, and then books of some kind the way to keep them in the deep...

I wonder if Issaries can do this stuff or if it's better done by licence out of house? Probably Issaries have a lack of both people and know-how. And I must confess that the quality of the published books have been so low that I sometimes have wondered if they are qualified to do their job! To publish something like the mysticism rules (which apparantly wasn't tested at all!) don't smack of professionalism... (not to speak of other weirdities)

The role of fanzines and the like:
TotRM will be sorely missed! I am glad to hear that #19 is going to the printer, I've been waiting long for it. If it wasn't for TotRM, I probably wouldn't have gotten involved in the first place. A small and pretty inexpensive fanzine that you can grab or put in peoples hands is a pretty good way to start reading and writing yourself. Hopefully Tradetalk can continue to be as good as it has been. Where is #6?

All in all, a lot of questions and a few ideas. I hope Glorantha will succeed, but I think some things will have to be transformed. The community spirit is high and the possibillity of web-publishing makes the future look bright for pros and amateurs alike.

The game's a foot!

/Andreas

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere! http://mail.yahoo.com/