Re: The future, my take

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:53:32 -0700

Andreas Gustafsson asked

>How was KoDP built anyway? Some kind of interactive
>multimedia player was used, or am I misstaken? Maybe there are some free tools
>like a MUD or a cheap licence using Quake, that could be used. Probably more
>computer games is the best way of getting people to see Glorantha, and then
>books of some kind the way to keep them in the deep...

It was built by a large team of people, working for nearly 3 years.

Yes, we used mTropolis, but its cost compared to free is essentially a rounding error given the overall budget. People are the big expense. (And I'm not of the opinion that you can do a significant game with volunteers.)

We did try to make King of Dragon Pass a good intro -- the goal was to be a good computer game that happened to use Glorantha as it setting (or more properly, to exploit the setting).

>I wonder if Issaries can do this stuff or if it's better done by
>licence out of
>house? Probably Issaries have a lack of both people and know-how.

Issaries (or Chaosium, depending on when in the project you're talking) did work with us, but they definitely don't have the resources to do a computer game. Any computer game would be licensed (and unfortunately licensing generally complicates things).

I know most of our team would jump at the chance to do another game, but funding is the big problem.

David Dunham     A Sharp     david_at_a-sharp.com
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com
Efficiency is intelligent laziness.