Re: steads to hamlets

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 02:06:40 +0100 (BST)

Benedict Adamson:
> Following one of your suggestions, you might be interested to know
> that the mountainous Fire Bull clan in my campaign don't live in
> steads. They live in fortified villages, which they call buries,
> rather than use the 'v' word. In winter, the buries are cut off from
> each other, so the bury is a legal entity reflecting their de facto
> independence. The clan doesn't refer to them as sub clans, though.

Wow, how very rustic and way back when! ;-) Very evocative image. I think this underlines a key point about social institutions among the Heortlings, which is how mutable they are, according to local circumstance. The above is going to tend to give you largish 'steads', which by custom will have a greater degree of institutional solidity to them than the norm, since they have to self-govern entirely for some of the time. (Indeed, it sort of implies that their social and legal framework rather flip-flops on a seasonal basis.) Each may have nothing like the leadership structures of a clan as such, but will have to have _some_ clear and effective way of making decisions without reference to the chief and the ring.

I even rather like the term 'burie' (bury?), though it doesn't sound remotely cod-Norse enough to be Completely Correct. ;-) It does pass the tests of being pronouncable, useful, and less wanky-sounding than likely equivalents (like 'small hill fort', or 'fortified village'). The Celt in me pictures something like a large broch, or a ring-fort, but perhaps simply a wooden palisade is more likely.

Incidentally, where exactly is said tula located, IYG?

Cheers,
Alex.