Orlanthi Battle of the Sexes

From: Peter Mcaveney <pmcaveney_at_usa.net>
Date: 15 Sep 00 12:00:57 EDT

Greg Stafford gave us a paradox. We 'know' that women are powerful in Orlanthi society, but we also 'know' from KoS that they are (mostly) patrilineal and patrilocal. As we flesh out the customs and folks draw from real-world examples like the Icelanders the problem is getting worse (since those cultures are male-dominated.) A culture with male-oriented customs will usually turn out to be male-dominated. I think we must make sure that Orlanthi customs balance the needs of the sexes to resolve this tension. Sure, obstacles like having to change clans on marriage would be overcome by ambitious women, but it would discourage some and lead to an imbalance from the large-scale sociological viewpoint.

Some folks on the list have argued that since Orlanti women are already powerful we do not need to provide them more support through customs and institutions. This IMHO is the wrong approach to a chicken-and-egg problem. Those with power will seek to institutionalize it, which in turn provides more power in the long run. Power which is not institutionalized will not last more than a generation. Since we know the women are influential we need to make sure that they have a customary power base.

Women do have one documented institutional advantage: female-only earth cults.  This is important, but IMHO not quite enough.

My solution: Cows.

Clan membership and ownership/use-rights to farmland and steads are reckoned along the male line of descent, while cattle ownership and rights are reckoned along the female line. This explains those dowry/brideprice combos in KoDP.

Cattle are odal property, but perhaps most clans delegate herd management to the Uralda temple, putting women in charge of the nitty-gritty details of all those cattle loans ...

Pete McAveney

Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #2