Re: Glorantha's future

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 21:18:42 +0100 (BST)

Donald R. Oddy:
> I can't help feeling the local games shop has largely had it's day. Games
> Workshop is big enough to turn the stock over fast enough but they control
> the whole process from design to selling. In 10 years the rest of the
> market will be one or two retailers in each country selling mostly by
> mailorder and the internet.

Terrifyingly, this has already happened here. I believe Ireland currently has exactly two games shops -- and that's if you count a Games Workshop, which frankly I don't. (Unless one or other of the 'Sub City' shops now stock games, which last time I checked they did not, their own protestations aside.)

> Similarly conventions are now for enthusiasts, the local convention which
> attracted the general public has disappeared. As a result there isn't the
> steady stream of newcomers who buy something because it looks good with
> a few getting seriously involved in consequence.

Our local convention seems to get a lot of 'walk-ins'. OTOH, whether they can be prised out of the bar and away from playing Magic and Vampire long enough to think about playing a new game is another matter.