Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #2

From: JeffJErwin_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:21:30 EDT

Dave Dunham exposits:

<< By contrast, I don't believe that Vingans are considered in all ways as men -- they are probably considered 85% men, but can act (ritually) as women as well. They dress as a combination -- men's clothing with a woman's overdress (see King of Dragon Pass for many examples). >>

I suspect a female heroquest or ritual is possible where women become men in a magical sense. Clan survival-wise, fertile women are more crucial and difficult, I imagine, than fertile men. But everything I know about the possibilities of Gloranthan and Heortling magic suggest this might occur (do Theyalan myths assume a all-male first person, a hermaphroditic first person or a first woman without a man? And then there is Androgyneous, who is a man-woman hero. That sounds like lost magic. Cultural myths would be important here, as if a culture says "First Mother" had no husband, and one was made, than it is possible for people to become men through magic, and so forth. Jeff E