Re: Glorantha's future

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:29:44 GMT

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>

>Donald Oddy wrote
>
>>It's a pity KoDP hasn't appeared in the 'Game' chain of stores because
>>that would really get Glorantha more widely known.
>
>Sadly, we can't afford the bribes ("co-op advertising" if you prefer
>that term, though there were other ways one chain tried to extract
>money from us). (Or is "Game" a particular UK chain I'm not familiar
>with?)

"Game" is one of the two trading names of the biggest UK computer games retailer - I've forgotten the other. I rather suspected something like that was why they only sold the big publishers games. Interestingly they have at times sold non-computer game stuff as well.

>> The other possibility
>>is to get a restricted version onto some magazine cover disks, even an
>>internet download which could be passed round could generate sales and
>>interest.
>
>The King of Dragon Pass tour has been in some magazine cover CDs.
>Again, this costs money, and our marketing resources are extremely
>limited.

I hadn't seen it on any UK ones some of which used to pay for contributions. no doubt that's something else that's changed.

>There is indeed a downloadable tour -- see the links at
><http://a-sharp.com/kodp/> for your choice of platform. Feel free to
>pass it around.

I hadn't seen that when I looked before.

>We still rely largely on word of mouth -- the game is still available
>(either direct from us or in local game shops -- see
><http://a-sharp.com/buy/retail.html>. (If you know of a shop that
>sells [or sold] KoDP but is not on this list, please let know!)

I have a horrible feeling that list is a pretty complete list of UK games shops once you have excluded the Game chain and Games Workshop. Basically the same problem that Hero Wars has.