Re: Nandan

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:18:18 +0100 (BST)

Andrew Larsen:
> Marriage here might or
> might not be exogamic, one of the small advantages of being a Nandani.

Why the distinction? Legally and socially they're women, so they should obey the same marriage customs. (I'm still amazed that most Digesters seem to think you can have a community of about 1000 people, not prohibited from having sex with each other (not all of them, at least), but for whom it's completely impossible to have any sort of intermarriage, or even 'common law' marriage. NIMG, I telya.

> The only other cultural role for a male homosexual would a Heleri, who
> is culturally male, which means that the marriage rules remain unchanged.
> Since in the myths Heler commits adultery without being punished for it,
> apparently, perhaps gay Heleri are allowed to have a male 'concubine'
> alongside their wife. Marriage to another man is out for a Heleri unless
> the other man is a Nandani. A gay Orlanthi would have to marry a woman, but
> might be allowed a non-marital relationship with a Heleri?

Heler worship is definitely the way to go for any 'miscellaneous' sexual activity you fancy... It might not formally make one legally immune to whatever naughtiness you get up to, but it would certainly be 'expected behaviour', and therefore often excused on that basis. ("Well dear, you should have known about the sheep/men/she-trolls thing when you married him; you know what they're like...")

Cheers,
Alex.