Nandan and whether Glorantha needs him...

From: Meints, Richard (R.J.) <"Meints,>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 03:06:44 -0400

Several people have debated the need and worth of Nandan...

As for me, I really don't care whether he is used or not. I certainly don't have a problem with the whole concept. If you don't want to have any Nandani PC's or NPC's, go right ahead. He's a minor deity in a very specific niche that can easily be forgotten or dicarded.

Interestingly enough, many of the playtest discussions concerning Nandan centered around why he was added to the pantheon in the first place. Many saw it as a blatant attempt to make the game more all inclusive. That didn't sit very well with those who loathe political correctness and the homophobic. Regardless of why Nandan is there (or not, since he only exists in draft texts thus far) I don't see the deity as a problem. I don't specifically enjoy Glorantha and its mythology because of its cultural diversity or political correctness.

In one respect, Nandan fits very well into the Orlanthi mythology. He certainly represents the philosophy of "There is always another way". I find it funny when people react to him in the vein of "violence is always an option".

In the end, there's probably at least one deity in every pantheon that doesn't sit well with somebody. Just discard the deity and move on. They don't do any harm.

Rick