Nandani Patrilinearity

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:59:32 +0200

Alex :

> > PS : Quo patrilinearity in Nandanic weddings ?
>
> There's only one 'father' in a wedding (and birth) involving a Nandan
> man, so no problem...

Well, I assume that there are Nandani bloodlines as there are Ernaldan ones ; and I would assume that there must be some specific legal arrangements to cover several legal problems. As there are over here in France with the PACS social contract (AKA gay 'marriage' certificate).

Let's for the sake of the argument assume that a whole family has been a bit Nandanic for several generations, with each son going on to become a healthy chidbearer. Does the patrilinear model of 'standard' Orlanthi bloodlines actually work in this case? Wouldn't they rather seek to have some 'Alternative' patrilinearism?

In another case, suppose that a young man, having inherited much from his late father, nevertheless likes to wear frocks and entertains innocent fantasies about marrying Mr Right and bringing lovely babies into the world ... This doesn't necessarily mean that he is foolish, and willing to break the bloodline of his forefathers ! And disenfranchise the little ones ?

So it would seem that at least one more class of marriage must exist for the Orlanthi, to cater for the special needs of the Nandani.

Particularly given the likelihood that the Nandani are men, legally : Nandan is the Birthing MAN. (But a man can be a wife, so that's not too bad a problem)

So, normal husband and wife, wife and underhusband, and husband and underwife arrangements are certainly feasible, as well as year-weddings, bed-weddings, and love-weddings.

But one suspects that an arrangement such as :

8. Nandani Husband. The Nandani has more status and property than his husband. He moves to his husband's house, but the children belong to the Nandani's clan.

might be logical.

Or even :

9. Husband and second Husband. Both participants have equal property, status, and responsibility. One husband moves to the other's house, and children belong to the clan of the father who bore them.

Ob-RW, a lesbian couple (can't remember where) recently made headlines: they produced a child, with the help of a sperm donor, but the ovum came from one of the two, while the second one carried the child ; and the child now has two legal mothers. The birth certificate says 'mother' and 'second mother' instead of 'father' and 'mother', apparently.

Would such a legal model be feasible among the Orlanthi ?

Can a child have a 'father' and a 'second father' in a Nandani arrangement ?

Perhaps gaining a double patrilinearity ? (And perhaps an Orlanthi double-barrelled name is just an embarrassment for a young man with two fathers ; announcements such 'I am Kwanhildor Kwanson-Hildorson, of the Elk clan!' to be followed by much giggling from the back of the class ... )

Julian Lord