Naffness with regard to transgenderism

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 00 01:18:59 -0400

I am quite fond of Nandan the Birthing Man, based on the few bits of information from both playtest and the assorted comments made here on the Digest. Sun County crossdressing is as naff, if not moreso, because it lacks in my mind the mythic qualities found in the Nandan descriptions. Given how readily acceptable Digestees find the transgenderism of Sun County, what is the problem with Nandan?

I don't accept the "smacks of political correctness" defense. The Sun County material makes light of transgenderism without sensitivity; that is downright prejudice, not a mere lack of political correctness. Let the grognards bitch and moan all they want: that is what they do best. In the meantime, I will continue to tout the magic and mystery of Nandan as a worthy addition to Gloranthan canon.

Perhaps it is the persecution complex arising from being a male bisexual in America which is speaking. Perhaps it is the legions of friends throughout my life who have been gay and/or transgendered. All I know is that the "all-inclusiveness" so dreaded by many on this digest is something that makes me *proud* to number myself amongst Glorantha's long-time fans. The homophobic behavior of people on this list, however, does not.

Greg, some of us still have faith in your ability to surprise and delight us. Don't let the narrow-minded and the nay-sayers get you down. Robin, thank you for Nandan which is perhaps the most inventive myth-making I have seen in Glorantha in years. Keep pushing the envelope.

Michael Schwartz mschwartz_at_mindspring.com Ann Arbor, MI USA