Re: Nandani Patrilinearity

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:44:12 +0100 (BST)

Julian Lord:
> > > PS : Quo patrilinearity in Nandanic weddings ?
> >
> > There's only one 'father' in a wedding (and birth) involving a Nandan
> > man, so no problem...
>
> Well, I assume that there are Nandani bloodlines as there are Ernaldan
> ones ; and I would assume that there must be some specific legal
> arrangements to cover several legal problems. As there are over here in
> France with the PACS social contract (AKA gay 'marriage' certificate).

I still don't see the problem. Unless you're invisaging a 'Nandan/Nandan' marriage, for example. The Nandan man is legally and socially the wife and mother in any marriage, so trace both matrilineal or patrilineal descent as per 'normal'. Whatever happens to be 'normal', that is. (As a rule, I think all the bloodlines will tend to have the same descent pattern. But that's an Orlanthi 'rule', obviously...)

> So it would seem that at least one more class of marriage must exist
> for the Orlanthi, to cater for the special needs of the Nandani.

Why? High or low status, I don't see how their situation varies form that of women, fundamentally. (Not that I'd swear blind that the 'seven forms' are universal and exclusive, of course! Exceptions (or simply other forms not documented by Mr. Lazy Research in RotO) for women would be rather more likely than exceptions for Nandanmen, surely.)

> 9. Husband and second Husband. Both participants have equal property,
> status, and responsibility. One husband moves to the other's house,
> and children belong to the clan of the father who bore them.

I don't think so.

> Perhaps gaining a double patrilinearity ? (And perhaps an Orlanthi
> double-barrelled name is just an embarrassment for
> a young man with two fathers ; announcements such
> 'I am Kwanhildor Kwanson-Hildorson, of the Elk clan!'
> to be followed by much giggling from the back of the class ... )

Ahem! As leading Elk-citer, I must protest, in the strongest possible terms! See next post for a more detailed critique...

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #13