Re: Transgendered Naffness

From: Phil Hibbs <phil_at_snark.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 21:57:32 +0100

>What I find interesting about the discomfort on the list with them
>is that there is no evident discomfort with the opposite phenomenon,
>namely women taking on male roles... But the idea that men might
>violate real world conventions about men apparently strikes some as
>silly, pointless, a joke, or simply unnecessary.

Most RPG scenarios are at least in part about fighting, so providing a means for people to play female characters that can take part in RPG scenarios is a must, and nobody questions it. I have never read a scenario in which the characters' abilities to give birth are crucial to the plot. This is the basic difference, and explains why Nandan is seen as an odd choice for a player character religion.

Phil.