Why I don't like Nandan

From: Rob Nicholls <gardengait_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:18:53 GMT

A one line 'I don't like Nandan. What need is there for him' isn't very explanatory so I will briefly enlarge.

I just don't get his fertility powers - don't mind the path for men to do female type jobs.

I think that the birthing man aspect is not something that Heortlings would use / require.
If the problem is that there are no women then I think that there are plenty of examples where Orlanth and his kin stole themselves wives / concubines etc (Ernalda anybody?)
If the problem is that all the women are barren then this is probably symptomatic of other problems. A Lightbringers quest may be required to restore the world (wasn't one side effect - or the main reason for the LBQ according to some - that Ernalda reawakened) and fertility to women.

I also think there is another candidate for turning things inside out and for men being able to be pregnant - I think that Trickster is somebody who can turn anything upside down. "Trickster saved the day again by doing something unexpected"

If the birthing aspect is dropped then that is fine by me but also drop "the birthing man" suffix as it sounds like a bit of bad Orlanthi poetry.

Rob