Nandan

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 16:13:37 -0400

I first heard about Nandan when Robin Laws was speaking about the Hero wars rules at the 1998 Convulsion.

As I remember, he was putting it forward as an example of finding new aspects of Gloranthan myth from the design process. His reasoning was that Vinga was a myth that let women use men's magics, so there must be some myth that let men use women's magics.

The only aspect he described was men becoming able to give birth, he said nothing about transgenderism or homosexuality.

I'm sure that both those lifestyles are far more common in Orlanthi society than the need for men to give birth.

A real-world myth, an example of a similar need: a while ago I read a saga about the Viking attempted settlement in Vinland. A baby was born in the settlement and shortly afterwards it mother was killed. Its father suckled it by cutting his nipple and feeding the baby on the resulting flow of blood.

Andrew