Nandanic Minotaurs?

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:36:47 -0700

Topi Pitkanan makes a swell first post:

>Somebody suggested that perhaps violently crazy Urox has also gentler sides in
>his charming personality. (Yeah right...) Indeed, I quite liked the idea Nandan
>and Urox having had relationship with each other.

Urox is said to be the "God of untamed animal power and passion" (G:IttHW p. 153) and in mating with a Nandandi would in some ways reproduce (pardon the pun) the relationship between Orlanth and Ernalda in its wilder forms. "Violence is always and option" vs "There is always another way" indeed. =)

>In Anaxials Roster it is said p.139:
>"Urox and Eiritha conceived first minotaurs after a quarrel. Each took a human
>lover with the intent of begetting an avenger..."

>Possibility remains that Storm Bull's lover was Nandan the Birthing Man.
>I Imagine that angry, jealous, vengeful Urox could have found understanding,
>compassion and pay back suitable for him in Nandan's soft, feminine but manly
>embrace. And Nandan would have agreed to help Urox to father an avenger, but in
>a very Ernaldan way he would have prevented intended violence-option taking
>place because there was once again another way...

Any interesting ideas who Eiritha's human lover might be?

>"Eiritha and Urox sent their avengers against each other, but the two met and
>became partners instead of foes. Urox and Eiritha went to see the product of
>their revenge and found lovers instead, and this ended their quarrel."

>Could it be that minotaurs are nandanic by nature? I always visualize them as
>males (though there are also cows). And could it be, that these big agressive
>beastmen were actually excellent midwives sometimes sought by daring humans?

I have yet to see, in all these years, a female minotaur figure, so what you say is not only so cool to have to be true, but is backed up by phsysical evidence!

Of course the EWF also takes credit for creating Minotaurs, but lots of creatures
have multiple origin stories, depending on who's talking about them.

And on the overall Nandan debate I once again have to put in a good word for the sadly neglected Uleria, who's shrines and occasional temples would welcome Nandandi with open arms, I'm sure. =)

Gary R Switzer
Aero Hobbies

"Being of the opinion that fair was fair, our cook prepared our weary guards a fine meal of braised Minotaur ribs, many of which showed the nicks and gashes of their own blades. Cooked in a sort of covered oven and smothered with a type of local sour cabbage, the ribs smelled delicious. A few of us showed some hesitation to indulge until our guide said 'He'd a et us, if things had gone 'is way.' which seemed to answer."