Orlanthi Sun

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:43:25 +1200

Mikko Rintasaari:

>I asked this question in the HW rules list, but it's more properly suited
>for the GD.

Or for the Herowars list which is where I answered it.

>What do the heortling orlanthi call the sun overhead. Do they think the
>sun is Elmal, patrolling the great stead (the world), or do they think it
>is the Emperor Yelm?

As of now most Sartarites believe it is Yelm because:

  1. Elmal worship has been superseded by Yelmalio worship throughout most of Sartar since the reign of Tarkalor.
  2. the dominant military power worships the Sun as the Emperor Yelm.
  3. the Orlanthi know that Orlanth eventually slew Yelm so holding out some hope for their future liberation.

The Tarshites also believe that the Sun is Yelm for slightly different reasons.

>The heorlings have been warring with the Dara Happans for so long, that
>they must have made the connection between their Yelm, and the Evil
>Emperor Orlanth slayed, and with whom he made peace in the LBQ.

They have done so since the Gbaji Wars.