Re: steads to hamlets

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:28:50 +0100

> Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 02:06:40 +0100 (BST)
> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
> Subject: Re: steads to hamlets

- -..
> I even rather like the term 'burie' (bury?),

Correct, buries being the plural of bury.

> though it doesn't sound
> remotely cod-Norse enough to be Completely Correct. ;-)

Well, it's the [New] English form of the Old English word (as in, Canterbury). The original Englisc would have a 'g' instead of a 'y' (burig, I think). I didn't see the need to be that cod-Germanic. Your codness may vary.

I have in mind something rather puny -- they are primarily settlements rather than military structures. Wooden palisades are out, as there isn't enough timber in their tula. A dry stone wall and ditch. Also, somewhat haphazard and irregular.

> Incidentally, where exactly is said tula located, IYG?

At the northernmost tip of the Stormwalk mountains.