The Tale of Hall the Farmer

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:56:52 -0700

        This is my attempt to write a Gloranthan folk tale. Not really a myth, but a story that might feature virtuous Orlanthi in action. A lesson for the kids, perhaps.

The Tale of Hall the Farmer

        Now this all took place a long time ago, after Orlanth had killed the Evil Emperor but before things got really bad. In those days the Storm peoples were prosperous and powerful, and our tribe was ruled by Queen Gudrun. Gudrun was the daughter of Aud the Watchful daughter of Kettil the Sage, and she had followed Bloody Babeester until the healer-merchant Kuzard offered Gudrun justice for rage whereupon she became as deep-minded as she had formerly been feared. She ruled wisely and well in times of war and the few days of peace until she died fighting the Rocks That Spoke. But this story is from earlier in her reign when things were better than they would be.

        Queen Gudrun had a thane named Hoskuld who was a mighty warrior against her enemies. Hoskuld was the son of Egil the Stout, who was son of Ottar Short-Axe, son of Svein Rainhair who left Vinkot's stead with Kettil the Sage to found the tribe. Hoskuld traveled the tribe's land killing when killing was needed and talking when talking was needed. He was the Queen's eyes and ears and hands for Queen Gudrun, like all rulers, could only be in one place at a time, but trouble is everywhere. One season Hoskuld failed to return to his stead at his usual time. At first no one worried for, while this was unusual, Hoskuld was a man of duty, and his duties often delayed him. But days passed, and weeks passed, and a season passed, and neither Hoskuld nor word of him came to his stead, and Hoskuld's wife, Thordis, who was no fool, suspected evil. So she gathered her charms and her woman's knife and went to see her grandmother who lived on a hill. And the grandmother, who was a knowing woman, called the winds to hear what news they had of Hoskuld.

        The North Wind howled down, cold and blustering, and said "I know Hoskuld the Fierce; he's a mighty man for the battles, and often have I heard the clash of his weapons, but for a season and more I have not heard that song." And the grandmother thanked him and sent him away.

        Then the East Wind whistled up, dusty and stern, and said "I know Hoskuld the Just; he's a mighty man for the council, and often have I heard his judgments, but for a season and more I have not heard that song." And the grandmother thanked him and sent him away.

        The South Wind blew down, wet and lazy, and said "I know Hoskuld the Famous; he's a mighty man for the feasting, and often have I heard his tales and boasts, but for a season and more I have not heard that song." And the grandmother thanked him and sent him away.

        Then the West Wind howled up, dusty and haughty, and said "I know Hoskuld the Pious; he's a mighty man for the praying, and often have I heard his hymns and spells, but for a season and more I have not heard that song." And the grandmother thanked him and sent him away.

        Thordis nearly wept for frustration, but her grandmother said "where winds fail earth may prevail," and the two gathered their charms and performed the sacrifice and went under the hill to speak with the grandmother's grandmother. And the old old woman below the ground said in her old cold voice "Hoskuld Egilsson lies dead on a mountain, murdered by Grima the Cruel, daughter of Grasping Earth, and her husband Hrapp who speaks with the Bad Wind. Hrapp coveted Hoskuld's sword made of the new metal and Hoskuld's justice which neither Hrapp nor Grima have ever had. The wicked pair live west beyond the river beyond the forest in the Mountains Where the Giants Were. And what will you do about that, granddaughter of my granddaughter?"

        Well, Thordis was no fool and no meek woman, either, so she returned to the stead and told her eldest son about the crime. And Mord Hoskuldsson, who was mighty in battle like his father said "Hrapp is strong and Hrapp is hard, but I am stronger and harder than he." So he painted his war signs and took his sword and shield, and, speaking to no one, he went out for revenge.

        But days passed, and weeks passed, and a season passed, and neither Mord nor word of him returned to the stead. So Thordis gathered her charms and took her woman's knife and went to her grandmother and the two went to speak with her grandmother's grandmother who lived below the hill. The old old woman told them "Mord was strong, and Mord was hard, but Grima is sly and clever, and she caught him in a net of thorns, and the Bad Dogs found him helpless and killed and ate him. And what will you do about that, granddaughter of my granddaughter?"

        Thordis nearly wept, but she hardened her heart and went back to the stead and told her second son what had happened. Orn Hoskuldsson, who was steeped in justice and lore like his father said "Grima is cunning, and Grima is sly, but I am more cunning and slier than she." So he chanted the song of just vengeance and took his amulets and runes, and, speaking to no one, he went out for revenge.

        But days passed, and weeks passed, and a season passed, and neither Orn nor word of him returned to the stead. So Thordis gathered her charms and took her woman's knife and went to her grandmother and the two went to speak with her grandmother's grandmother who lived below the hill. The old old woman told them "Orn was cunning, and Orn was sly, but Hrapp is strong and hard, and his winds caught Orn crossing the river, and threw him down, and the waters held him until he drowned. And what will you do about that, granddaughter of my granddaughter?"

        And Thordis cried then for her husband and sons, for her third son was a farmer and no use for revenge. Hall Hoskuldssonheard her crying and said "Mother, you are no fool, and father was no fool, and you raised your sons well. Do you think you could hide this from me? I am no warrior and no sage, but I am a man and the son of my mother and father, and justice calls for revenge. Give me your blessing."

        Thordis said "Call me week or call me a fool, but I have lost a husband and two sons, and I would not lose a third." Hall replied "Maybe you will and maybe you won't, but but we won't know until I try." So she blessed him, and he went out for revenge.

        First, however, he went to the Queen. Hall said to her "I serve you, and my father served you, and my brothers served you, and now three of the four of us are dead. I must have revenge; will you help me?" Queen Gudrun said "Troubles multiply, and I no longer have Hoskuld's aid; if he could not help himself surely aid given to a farmer will be wasted." Hall replied "Maybe it will and maybe it won't, but we won't know until I try." And the Queen saw that Hall would not be swayed, and she gave him an alynx who could lead him to the fatal pair. Hall thanked her and left.

        Next he went to his grandmother. Hall said to her "My mother had a husband and three sons, and now three of the four of us are dead. I must have revenge; will you help me?"She said "Grima is sly, and Hrapp is strong, and your mother will lose her last son." Hall replied "Maybe she will and maybe she won't, but we won't know until I try." And his grandmother saw that Hall would not be swayed, and she gave him seven stones from her husband's grave. Hall thanked her and left.

        Led by the alynx, Hall walked and walked, and he came to the forest, and in the forest he found his path blocked by a wide tangle of thorns. While he stood and thought one of the Bad Dogs came and said "My family and I ate your brother, and, when you are caught, I will call my kin, and we will eat you too." Hall replied "Maybe you will and maybe you won't, but we won't know until I try." He whistled to the alynx who led him left and led him right and led him over and under and through the thorns. The Bad Dog cursed, but what could he do? His kind only attack in groups and when the prey is helpless.

        Led by the alynx, Hall walked and walked, and he came to the river, and he found his path blocked by the swift, deep water. While he stood and thought the waters rose up and said "When your brother fell into our grasp, we pulled, and we pulled, and we dragged your him down, and we'll do the same to you when you try to cross us." Hall replied "Maybe you will and maybe you won't, but we won't know until I try." He reached into his belt and pulled out the seven stones, and they made a bridge, and Hall crossed over the river. The waters cursed, but what could they do? They only kill what falls into their grasp.

        On the other side of the river Hall made camp, and he thought about Hrapp and Grima and what he could do. While he pondered, Grima crept up on him and dragged him down below the earth. She said "I am Grima, daughter of Grasping Earth, and I will have your life like I had your father's, for the winds are weak under the earth." Hall replied "Maybe you will and maybe you won't, but my mother is the earth, and I till the soil, and dirt and rock do not frighten me." And his hands that steadied the plow and dug stones to make fields and build walls caught the witch in the dirt and choked the air out of her, and she died.

        Windy Hrapp felt his cruel wife die and roared down from the mountain to see what had happened. When he spied Hall, he cried "Farmer, Farmer, I killed your father who was a warrior and priest, and I killed your brother who was a warrior, and I killed your brother who was a sage, and I will kill you." Hall replied "Maybe you will and maybe you won't, but as my mother is the earth, my father was the wind. The plow is mine, but the sword is also mine. Justice calls for revenge, and I will kill your here." He called to his father's sword which loved justice as well as blood, and it leapt from Hrapp's hand to Hall's. So they fought, and, while Hrapp was strong, and Hrapp was hard, without Grima he was not clever nor sly nor brave. Hall Hoskuldsson struck off Hrapp's right arm and left leg and then his head. So Hrapp the outlaw died, and the words of the Bad Wind were not heard in the land for many years.

        Hall left Grima and Hrapp to rot on the mountain, but he gathered the corpses and goods of the evil pair's victims, and returned them to their clans and homes, gaining fame and honor in the deed. Then, with the remains of his father and brothers, he returned to his home and clan and family, and he was the father of Mord Threeaxe and Orn the Grey who killed Ghaal the Boiling Earth, who was father of Queen Astis who lead our tribe to watch the Sun rise again. And Hall remained a farmer and sometimes a warrior until he was very old.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #21